Thursday, 10 April 2014

Who would be the audience for your media product?

Due to my understanding of demographics I was able to choose what the intended audience would be for my magazine. Since many magazines have a specific audience according to these demographics. This table shows the classes of our society and has helped me decide what audience I am aiming my magazine at.

In order to create the magazine, we must first decide what audience we shall be targeting. Rock is the genre that I have chosen and in order to uphold the Rock demographics, I must uphold their needs as they have certain conventions that are recognisable to them. Due to the charts and various other forms of media, TV and Radio and magazine, I have an understanding of what the audience are portrayed as. As well as knowing what type of people purchase the music based in the Rock genre. After studying certain reader profiles such as NME, having many statistics to go by, I have discovered that the main audience for a mainstream magazine is mostly consumed by teenagers. The focus group was also an indicator to what is expected and demanding when looking at a magazine.  This enabled me to discover which audience I wanted to target for my magazine. The target audience which I have chosen is ranged between 15 – 25 years old also being both male and female, as they are relevant and reasonable for my magazine. This large range means that I shall most likely be targeting students, meaning that they shall most likely be unemployed or either entering new employment. Having little to no wage. This puts the demographic into the E grade of society. Rock is a genre in which is mainly based stereotypically in the male demographic but I have made sure that my magazine appeals to both male and female members of the public (Rock Genre). Due to this information, I was inclined to make sure that the magazine price was at an affordable rate for the audience. The price being £1.90 as to make sure that due to the fact that this is a magazine that is just starting in the publishing industry means that having it being sold at a low price gives it a better chance at being successful. Also having them being published every other week to ensure that the audience that consists of students are satisfied, compared to that of higher end magazine such as Vogue which are much more expensive but due to the content and the size of the magazines means that they are published monthly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment